Saturday, December 02, 2006

New Mixed Media


This to me seems quite raw and visceral as I see it on the screen and when I saw what the result was when I finished it. My intention was to use the page of and old torn book that had no salvation to composed something appealing but I let myself go and before I knew it I had the ink spots on it and finished off with the addition of a dramatic stroke of texture. I decided to leave it because this one has taken me to another one that is not quite finished but might make me turn to something very different. I don't consider this a pretty painting but I do consider it expressive, either it be my love for earthy and old things or my frustration for not remembering the image revealed to me the night before.

15 comments:

sandy said...

I like this...a lot.

sandy

Elis Cooke said...

raw yes, Yet this is a powerful piece with alot of energy... my biggest criteria for good art IMO is that I want to see something that I could look at for a long time... there is much here that keeps my eyes engaged and roving... great texture and layering... art likes are so personal but I really love this one! sometimes when we let go... we open to a place where fascinating things happen... namaste Elis.

Pilan said...

something I barely caught a glimpse of something that is there but I should not see. Something I am not suppose to but did. I love it!!

C. Robin Janning said...

Mary,

I can only add to the chorus here. This is a beautiful and truly fascinating piece of work.

Robin

Mary said...

Thank you dd, Elis, Pilan and Robin for the encouraging words. This is one of those that I was not sure of but has grown on me.

Anonymous said...

I love the layers of texture and color you achieve Mary! I would love to see them in person.

Mary said...

Thank you Cynthia! This one does look better IRL.

Billie Crain said...

Mary, this is a powerful piece! it has a feel of great antiquity and it's EDGY! bet you didn't know you could be edgy, did you? i would think when you're not limited by 'exactness'(is that a word?) the creative juices can flow freely and the inner 'you' can come out and soar.

Johnnie Scoutten said...

A compelling piece. Rich in color and texture.

Anonymous said...

Very powerful - those broad strokes which contrast against the background so much.

Mary said...

Thank you Billie, Johnnie and Anita. yes Billie I guess I can be edgy and I didn't know it!:)Interesting what things come out in painting.

Judi said...

Wow Mary! This is such a magnificent piece! Your talent is soooooo amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oh I absolutely love this! I can't wait to see the next one!

Mary said...

Thank you Judi and Jessica for the visit and the comments.

John A. Karr said...

Just surfed through and glad I did. This piece is awesome. Quite violent. RED, with tattered edges of the paper (or book), possible bullet holes through the faded words, crumbling fringes.