Saturday, August 05, 2006

Mayan Series



The above is a fragment of the same painting showing a little of the drawing of the mayan ritual.



While letting my third painting for the Fossil series dry, I decided to try another acrylic and ink pour because they are so much faster and dry quickly. After I had managed to sort of control my pours and let them dry, I thought I would try to incorporate some Mayan figures to the whole piece. This I thought of a little too late because I had already brushed on an acrylic sealer. Neverhteless, I tried to draw in some figures from one of the famous paintings in the Mayan Site Chichen Itza. The real painting is depicting The Battle of Jaguars which was a ritual in that culture. Unofrtunately my drawing of part of this painting does not show up. next time I think I will draw in the my theme first and then pour over. Since I had thought of this after the pour was down, the colors are definitely not the Mayan colors. I will try the next one with the colors the mayans were so well noted for.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

5 comments:

Pilan said...

Mariana, I want to see them up close to see the figures. The colors and way the paint set is perfect for Mayan figures. How large are they??? Maybe think about showing the process of how you make these paintings. I would like to see you work in real life. These are intriguing me.

Mary said...

Thank you Paula. They are about 14X14. Next time a do a pour before it dries I'll take a picture and post. I am going to try to drawing the figures in first and then pour and see what happens. I had a terrible time photographing these.

Mary said...

Thank you, Robin! The pour really lets me free myself of thought and I just and as you said about your abstracts I let the pour lead me. If I have a thought or plan in my head it never turns out like I had imagined.

Martha Marshall said...

Wow, the color in this one really grabs me. Very nice!! Thanks for visiting my blog, Mary.

Martha

Mary said...

Thank you, Martha for your comment!