Thursday, August 03, 2006

Boots


My drawing for the Weekly Drawing Thread at Wet Canvas.

It has not been an easy day today art-wise. I started off today with the same excitement I had, had since last evening cooking up an idea for a new abstract. While gathering my materials I came across a canvas panel that had been gessoed, painted and covered up with some amate paper; painted again and that was what I was looking at when I thought, "perfect, just the size and format I need". To pour with acrylic you need an absorbent substrate in order for the paint to seep in and I completely disregarded the fact. Orange, Violet and a shot of black ink over an underpainting of blue gouache. Gorgeous orange threads, streaming through the puddle but stopping nowhere, until what had been an explosion of color turned into an empty grey smeared panel. These are the mishaps with pouring and mixed media, but inspite of these setbacks I love it, and the great advantage is that you can cover up and start again.

4 comments:

Pilan said...

Mariana what a precious drawing and the composition is wonderful.

Pilan said...

Do these belong to the little boy below? :)

Mary said...

Thank you Paula! No these are in the IRL of Wet Canvas and it was the reference chosen this week for the Weekly Drawing Thread.

Unknown said...

wow!...the painting looks so real...i have a pair of nike shoes they too look same like this pair...great!